Going Really Long!

Saturday 12 June 2010

Fair's Fair!

Well the weather certainly wasn't' for Day 1! We were piped off from John O Groats amidst strong winds and persistent rain. For the first 40 miles it was headwinds all the way with periods of driving rain. Once we began to turn south though we picked up some great tail winds and the weather cleared somewhat, we even noticed a shadow for a micro second! So the weather wasn't fair, and neither are some of the riders! Dave and I found ourselves pulling a train of riders on several occasions none of whom where taking their turn on the front, so after 10 miles or so we took a jump from them up a hill and made a gap! We gathered several others at various points but none were taking turns - interesting - this week will certainly show what characters people really have! The facilities at the base camps are amazing considering they are just fields! We have power, water and amazing food! My tent is bijoux and it remains to be seen how I fair under canvass tonight, but my bed is all set and just about fits! Today's stats - 7:18 rolling time - 104 miles. Average heart rate 144 but there were some sections where I was working a lot harder than that (and harder than I should). For those interested I ate 6 x nakd bars, had scrambled eggs plus blueberries for breakfast, had 2.25 litres of water with 1 sugar cube in each plus two sachets of diorylte so 100 g carb plus dinner of roast lamb, various vegetables and salad - I would estimate 150 g total for the day. Grok on, next stop Fort Wiliam.

No comments:

Post a Comment